Practice room/studio

Gestart door dreamer, mei 31, 2013, 06:24

« vorige - volgende »

Omlaag

dreamer

Hello good people and fellow bashers,

I am an expat drummer, living in Amsterdam for the past 2 years or so. Moving here unfortunately also meant I had to sacrifice my private space where I had my beloved Roland TD-20 set up.

After all this time without a kit of my own and being tired of going to oefenruimtes to play, I am trying to find a way to rent a space so I can set up  my electronic kit but also buy an acoustic one, so either I have to rent a room, say 10-20m² somewhere remotely, or be able to sound isolate it.

Does anyone here have a brilliant idea on how I might achieve that? The only thing I've been managing so far is browsing drumstores, making dream setups and sighing out of desperation..

Thank you for your time!

PS: Sorry for my ineptitude to speak Dutch, that's another issue I've been struggling with.

Headshrinker

Hi,

Finding an affordable room is not easy, as you know. Sound isolation is difficult and expensive (especially if it's not your own place).

I guess it would help if you knew people in the countryside. E.g. a farmer who wouldn't mind you storing and playing your drums in his/her shed. But this involves travelling (probably more than what it takes to get to your 'oefenruimtes').

Personally, I would stick to practice pads at home and do the 'full-out drumming' (with a band) in a proper rehearsal room.

musiqman

Check out muzyq un amsterdam east. they have drumrooms for 10,- an hour.

dreamer

Thank you guys for the replies.

@Headshrinker: Yes, that's what I have been thinking of but it's too challenging for me at the moment to find such a place. Thank you though for the suggestion.

@Musiqman: That's where I go when I play :) The main problem with that ordeal is that I have to carry on me my cymbals, my double-bass pedal, and spending a good hour to set things up the way I like them and then take them apart.

Headshrinker

jun 01, 2013, 12:14 Last Edit: jun 01, 2013, 12:16 by Headshrinker
[...] too challenging [...] ordeal [...] spending a good hour [...]

Well, dreamer, you'll have to do something...

Machiel

Honestly, I hate rehearsing as much as you do.. here;s why:

I play once a week from 19:00 till about 22:00 on a wednesday. I play with my band so no alone time (no rudiments, no covers, etc)
I ONLY play on my own kit (I play once a week and then I want to play on my own kit..)
So I get home at 17:30 get something to eat and an hour later I drive to the rehearsal space (drumset is already in the car, I don't have space for it at home) I unload it there and get it to the rehearsal room with the band, set it up and then can start playing.

It's a nasty work every week and I never have enough time to really finetune my kit but I can drum then!
And when I;m not with the band once a while I have to carry all the shells on my own. And YES it takes about an hour but then is when you can relax. Right?

This is a regular routine for a lot of drummers I know. This is the way you can drum on a regular basis.

Does this help you?
Neem mij vooral niet te serieus.

dreamer

Well, dreamer, you'll have to do something...

Indeed sir, I do. I was also thinking that a middle ground solution would be to have my gear stored at the rehearsal space, this would shave off a lot of hassle. Do you happen to know if this is something Muzyq can provide?

dreamer

Honestly, I hate rehearsing as much as you do.. here;s why:

I play once a week from 19:00 till about 22:00 on a wednesday. I play with my band so no alone time (no rudiments, no covers, etc)
I ONLY play on my own kit (I play once a week and then I want to play on my own kit..)
So I get home at 17:30 get something to eat and an hour later I drive to the rehearsal space (drumset is already in the car, I don't have space for it at home) I unload it there and get it to the rehearsal room with the band, set it up and then can start playing.

It's a nasty work every week and I never have enough time to really finetune my kit but I can drum then!
And when I;m not with the band once a while I have to carry all the shells on my own. And YES it takes about an hour but then is when you can relax. Right?

This is a regular routine for a lot of drummers I know. This is the way you can drum on a regular basis.

Does this help you?

By just replying to my concerns, you already are of help, so thank you for that.

What you describe used to also be a routine for me as well when I was younger, to the point where we were discussing with 3-4 more bands to rent an entire recording/rehearsal studio which had gone bankrupt, so everybody could have their equipment more or less set and ready, but the logistics of the endeavor were too painful for the plan to materialize.